Witches of Eastwick for the LST
A charity event organized around the London premiere of "The Witches of Eastwick" raised about £10,000 (or $16,000) for medical research on Lowe syndrome. Organized by the newly established Lowe Syndrome Trust, the July 13, 2000 benefit included a dinner, celebrity auction, and raffle. Several celebrities participated, including television star Ian McShane, who has the lead role in "The Witches of Eastwick."
The evening commenced with champagne/canapes at PJ's Restaurant with over 100 guests, then moved on to the charity premiere of "The Witches of Eastwick." The evening ended back at PJ's where the guests found raffle tickets under their seats. After dinner Dr. Van't Hoff from Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital spoke about Lowe syndrome and the kidney research project. Trustee Jonathon Ross then compered the auction, joined by the stars of the show and other celebrities including Tris Payne and Penny Smith.
The auction included some serious (and some amusing) bidding for items such as a picture by the artist Carol Payne, a pair of John McEnroe's Trainers (signed), Ian Botham's cricket bat (signed), and a pair of Pat Cash's tennis shorts (signed).
The Lowe Syndrome Trust is very grateful to everyone who helped make this event such a big success, including the individuals who participated and the companies that donated prizes.
Other raffle prizes included:
- CD Midi Music Centre -- Dixons
- Royal Opera House tickets -- Insight Day
- English National Opera tickets -- Manon Lescaut
- Two theatre tickets -- The Graduate
- Dinner for two -- Villa Bianca Restaurant Hampstead
- Food hamper -- Harrods
- Full body massage -- Lingfield Health Club Hampstead
- Two ttheatre tickets -- Art (Wyndham Theatre)
- Dinner for two -- L'Odeon Restaurant
- Dinner for two -- PJ's Restaurant Covent Garden
- Signed album -- Bill Wyman
- Signed T-shirt -- Bill Wyman
- Motorola (Pay as You Go) -- Orange Mobile Phone
- Signed book -- Annie Lennox
Actor Ian McShane with Lorraine Thomas, founder of the Lowe Syndrome Trust
Left-right: Dr. William Van't Hoff, Lorraine Thomas, Jonathon Ross, Tris Payne
Bill Reinking of PJ's Restaurant with Maria Freidman, actress playing Sukie Rougemont in "The Witches of Eastwick"
Left-right: Catherine McNaught, British TV personality Penny Smith, Lorraine Thomas